Below are answers to some common questions about our store and our policies.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have many payment options for your convenience.
- Credit & debit cards including American Express and Discover
- Layaway – 90 days same as cash; 33% down payment
- 12 MONTHS SPECIAL FINANCING* available with your Freedom To Ride credit card. $200 minimum purchase required. Available every day. *Subject to credit approval. Minimum Monthly Payments Required. We reserve the right to discontinue or alter the terms of this offer at any time. See store for details.
- Lease to purchase (application).
- Trade in your current bike towards new gear!
Yes, we buy used bicycles! We also take trade-ins and consignment sales. Pre-owned bicycles are a great way to get into cycling without the cost of a new bicycle. Our current pre-owned inventory can be seen at rideausedbike.com.
Used Bicycle Sell/Trade/Consignment Appraisal Process
If you have a bicycle for sale, trade, or consignment, we will gladly appraise your bike and provide an offer at no charge. You will need to bring your bicycle to the store; we do not provide estimates over the phone, email, or text. In some cases, you will need to leave the bicycle with us. The appraisal process takes 15-20 minutes per bicycle.
Please note that we are are not a collector or a museum. We buy at wholesale rates with the intention to resell. You will almost certainly get more by selling the bicycle yourself. If you don’t want the hassle of private selling or just need the bicycle out of your way, our offer will be the next best thing.
Our service department will perform a 40 point inspection to evaluate the bicycle’s condition. All worn, damaged, or missing parts must be replaced at the owner’s expense. Repairs, if any, will be subtracted from our final offer. The bicycle must be in 100% mechanical condition for us to resell.
We appraise your bicycle based on input from the Bicycle Blue Book, eBay sold listings, other online sales ads, comparison to current inventory, local market conditions, seasonality, and our experience with used bicycles since 2011.
We do not purchase/trade/consign every bicycle that is brought in to us. Our purchasing decisions are based on many factors, some of which include current inventory, market trends, seasonality, age, etc. We reserve the right to refuse any purchase/trade/consignment for any reason at any time.
Ride-A-Bike Trade Up Program
Bicycles purchased from Ride-A-Bike:
- New bicycle: 0-15 days from purchase date = full refund minus repairs (if applicable) minus restocking fee paid in the form of the original payment.
- New bicycle: 15 days to 365 days from purchase date = 50% refund of purchase price minus repairs (if applicable) paid by check or store credit.
- New bicycle: 366+ days from purchase date = appraisal process as detailed above.
- Used bicycle: 0-15 days from purchase date = full refund minus repairs (if applicable) minus restocking fee paid in the form of the original payment.
- Used bicycle: 16+ days from purchase date = appraisal process as detailed above.
- Contact us for the current restocking fee.
Bicycles not purchased from Ride-A-Bike:
- We will evaluate your bike by our appraisal process (see above).
Used Purchase and Trade Requirements
- The bicycle must be a shop-quality bicycle.
- Arrive more than 30 minutes before the close of business.
- You must be the lawful owner and able to prove this if asked.
- A valid photo ID.
- Your bicycle must be complete.
- The bicycle must have a legible serial number.
- We cannot take bicycles that have damaged or modified frames (dents, cracks, non-factory welding or modifications, excessive paint wear, etc.).
- Except in rare cases, we are not interested in bare frames or boxes of parts. Call if you have something special.
All of the above apply plus:
- The bicycle must remain in the store for the duration of the sale (you still own the bicycle).
- If the bicycle is removed from Ride-A-Bike before it sells, a service charge may be assessed to cover our appraisal and listing time.
- The bicycle must be in 100% safe and operating condition as determined by our service department.
- While on consignment, you still own your bike. Ride-A-Bike’s insurance will not cover your property. Therefore, Ride-A-Bike is not responsible for theft or damage while trying to sell your bike.
- Contact us for the current consignment fee.
What You Should Expect
- The appraisal process takes 15-20 minutes for most bikes. Please be patient – if we are rushed our offer will be low!
- If the store is very busy, you may have to leave the bike for an appraisal. We go over the bike and call you as soon as we can.
- We only pay by company check or store credit. We do not hand out cash.
- We will take a picture of your ID and attach it to our purchase records.
- We register used purchases with law enforcement databases to verify the bicycle is not stolen.
- We check the serial number against public databases to verify the bicycle is not stolen.
- You will be recorded by our surveillance system.
- Depending on the time of year, size, or type of bicycle, consignment sales may take several months.
- Consignment owners will not be paid until the bicycle sells.
Marketing for Used/Trade/Consignment Sales
- Ride-A-Bike Facebook business page
- Charlotte, NC Craigslist
- Our used email notification list
- Walk-in traffic
Brands We Are Not Interested In
- Department store bicycles (newer Schwinns, Next, Magma, Genesis, Huffy, etc.).
- Electric bicycles powered by any system other than products we sell.
- Any bicycle with a gasoline engine.
Used & Consignment Warranty
We do our best to provide a 100% safe and functional bicycle. While unlikely, unforeseen issues may arise after the time of purchase. We provide 30 days of free adjustments from the date of purchase. This covers minor adjustments of all components related to normal use.
Suspension components: If a suspension component fails 0-30 days from the date of purchase on bikes 3 model years old or newer, Ride-A-Bike will cover 100% of the repair cost. If a suspension component fails 31-60 days after the date of purchase, Ride-A-Bike will cover 50% of the repair cost. If a suspension component fails after 61 days, the customer is responsible for 100% of the repair. 4 or more model years old will be on a case-by-case basis depending on part availability. If a component cannot be repaired due to age, Ride-A-Bike will cover 50% of the repair cost 0-30 days from the purchase date. After 31 days, the customer will be responsible for 100% of the repair.
Hydraulic brakes: 0-30 days from purchase date, Ride-A-Bike will perform (1) free bleed per brake. 31+ days from purchase date, the customer is responsible for 100% of the repair cost.
We are not able to warranty or perform repairs that are a result of abuse. Examples of abnormal damage and/or abuse not covered includes, but is not limited to, a crash, improper riding technique, using the bicycle outside of it’s intended purpose, jumping, the bicycle falling off a vehicle rack, owner attempting to make his/her own adjustments or repairs, lack of proper maintenance, etc.
Our goal is to keep you riding – if you have any questions or concerns, please bring the bicycle to us for evaluation and a discussion.
Yes! We repair nearly all types of bikes. Bring your bike over to the store for a free estimate. We are not able to provide accurate repair estimates over the phone – we need to see your bike in person!
- All returned merchandise must be like New and Unused.
- Merchandise with missing/damaged packaging will be charged a 15% restocking fee.
- Special Orders are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
- No refund or exchange for any damaged or missing product.
- Bicycles are subject to 15% restocking fee.
- Refunds and Exchanges within 30 days of purchase only.
- NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES ON SALE ITEMS!
- NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES ON FOOD ITEMS!
- NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES ON TOOLS!
- Merchandise without a receipt will receive a Store Credit or Exchange Only.
- Paid with cash: cash refund under $100, store check mailed for over $100.00.
- Paid by credit card – refund to same credit card only.
- Gift Certificates are not Redeemable for Cash.
- Store Credit is not Redeemable for Cash.
- We reserve the right to request photo ID for any transaction.
When we request your information, it is for our records and communications only. We do not sell your information to any 3rd parties. You may receive an occasional email from a 3rd party service that we use (such as Perkville or The Bike Coop).
We do not store any payment information.
All paper documents that have contact information or other personal information are shredded.